Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Kasha is an ecommerce platform for women’s health and personal care built to operate in urban and rural areas of East Africa serving women of all socioeconomic levels. We are a young and fast growing company that is scaling in Rwanda and piloting in Kenya. In the first 1.5 years, we sold and delivered 10,000 orders to urban and rural areas of Rwanda and onboarded some of the largest FMCG and Pharma global manufacturers. Our goal is to one day serve millions of women around the world in developing countries and emerging markets, trusted by customers as the go-to place to buy quality health and personal care products.
More about Kasha:
- About Kasha Video
- CNBC Africa interview highlighting Kasha’s expansion plans into Kenya
The Candidate We’re Looking For
As CTO, you will define the technology strategy and vision to disrupt women’s health product access globally. As part of the core leadership, the CTO will work closely with the CEO and Country Managers of Rwanda and Kenya. As the CTO you will hire and manage software engineers and data scientist to build a powerful platform that consumers love and that B2B customers view as their strategic channel for growth, market penetration and consumer insight in Africa. Day to day responsibilities include a blend of technical decisions and trade-offs, ideation skills, hands-on leadership, project management and attracting top talent. Customer focused development is critical to the role.
– 10+ years of experience in product development of web applications and mobile solutions, spanning user experience, architecture, development and operations
– 5+ years of experience in leading software engineering teams and budgets, either in a management role, or a combination of people management and technical leadership roles.
– Proven track record of successfully defining technical strategies and roadmaps and deliver on it
– You are hands-on, detail-oriented, and obsessed with building world-class cloud services and user experiences. You know how to make technical trade-offs to deliver results quickly without jeopardizing stability and building up technical debt. Easily deal with ambiguity, prioritize, and make decisive decisions with great judgement
– Maintain current knowledge of technology landscape and developments. Oversee all system design and changes in system architecture and provides options and trade-offs to leadership. Consolidate and decouple our technology platforms and create plans for each
– Own development methodology spanning all aspects of software engineering life cycle of building and operation consumer facing web applications, ecommerce and cloud services. Ensure a high quality, easily manageable, and scalable codebase .
– You have a proven track record of successfully hiring and leading high performing software engineering organizations; as well as managing outsourced projects with vendors
– Take the initiative in thought leadership, innovation and creativity. Innovate through research and continuous improvement. Provide critical and factual inputs for IP creation
– Experience with business analytics solutions and leveraging data to improve business results
– Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable discipline, or equivalent industry experience
– Fluency in the English language written and verbally; French, Swahili or Kinyarwanda is a plus
The following qualifications are a plus:
– Experience working in startups
– 3+ years of ecommerce experience
– 3+ years of work experience in Africa, preferably in east Africa
– Knowledge of supply chain, accounting, and procurement, and customer support systems
– Knowledge of USSD and mobile money payment solutions
– Knowledge of Android app development
– Knowledge of web applications frameworks, especially in PHP
– Knowledge of Java frameworks like Spring, Boot, and Play
– Knowledge of WordPress & WooCommerce architecture, sensibility model, guidelines and best practices
– Experience running services on AWS or other cloud services
– Experience working in international companies; work experience in Europe or US
To apply, please email CV to firstname.lastname@example.org