Pros and cons of the morning after pill
What is the morning after pill?
It is a pill taken after unprotected sexual intercourse to prevent pregnancy. The sooner it is taken after the act, the more effective it is. On Kasha’s platform, the emergency contraceptive available is Norlevo and it is recommended to take within 72 hours after unprotected sex and most ideally within a 12 hours window.
- Prevents pregnancy after unprotected sexual intercourse.
- It is available over the counter (does not require a prescription).
- The pill is only designed to prevent pregnancy. It will not disrupt an established pregnancy or harm a developing embryo.
- It is not known to affect chances of future pregnancies.
- The pill can cause side-effects such as nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, abdominal pain, heavy menses, bleeding, breast tenderness etc.
- The morning after pill is not recommended for all women (e.g. women with a history of blood clot, severe digestive disease, or severe liver problems).
- The pill does not protect from contracting sexually transmitted infections (use a condom!)
- It is not a regular contraceptive method and does not always prevent pregnancy (don’t play with fire! )
To sum it up:
The morning after pill can be very helpful for women who know they don’t want to be pregnant after having unprotected sex. Unprotected sex can happen with a trusted partner as well as extreme cases such as rape and it is important that women have a last resort to prevent pregnancy. However, the pill is not a regular contraceptive method. It is should be considered as a last resort (key word is emergency ) and not a stable method. Therefore, women that take it often are putting themselves at risk from becoming pregnant. If you are sexually active and find yourself using the pill too often, consider adopting a regular long-term method. Nowadays, there are so many options from hormonal to non-hormonal methods, you can find something that works for you. Additionally, if you don’t trust your partner, use a condom since the pill does not protect from sexually transmitted infections.
Recommended: On Kasha’s platform, the emergency contraceptive available is Norlevo and it is recommended to take within 72 hours after unprotected sex and most ideally within a 12 hours window.